Coffee adds a delicious twist on the classic caramel millionaire bars in this recipe from the Nourishing Vegan Every Day cookbook. Packed with mocha flavor, each bite of these plant-based sweets will melt in your mouth.
What you need:
For the crust:
1¼ cup rolled oats
½ cup ground almonds
½ cup pecans
1 tablespoon ground coffee
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
¼ cup cashew or almond butter
3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
2 tablespoons maple syrup
¼ teaspoon salt
For the caramel:
½ cup cashew or almond butter
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
1 teaspoon instant coffee dissolved in 1 teaspoon hot water
¼ teaspoon salt
For the topping:
3 ounces vegan chocolate, chopped
What you do:
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. For the base, in a food processor, add oats, almonds, pecans, and coffee and pulse into a fine meal. Pour into a medium mixing bowl and add cacao powder, cashew butter, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and salt. Stir until a sticky mix that holds together when pressed forms.
- Pour into prepared pan and press down firmly to form an even base layer. Chill in refrigerator.
- For the caramel, into a small bowl, add all ingredients. Stir until smooth. Pour over base layer and chill in refrigerator for 1 hour, or until set and firm to touch.
- Remove from pan and use a warmed, sharp knife to slice into ten bars or squares. Place back in refrigerator.
- For the topping, line a baking tray with parchment paper. In a double boiler, melt chocolate. One at a time, dip each caramel slice into chocolate and place on tray. Sprinkle with coffee beans, cacao nibs, and flaky salt. Set in refrigerator for 10 minutes, or until chocolate has hardened.